Saturday 12 January 2013

My new frock!


Two and half years ago our eldest son Michael got married, this March our youngest son Peter is getting married.  For Michael's wedding I had a dress made, but the lady who made my dress doesn't make dresses anymore, so I thought I would have a go..........  she made the pattern to fit me so why not?  I tried to make a dress before about thirty years ago but it didn't exactly fit only where it touched and was a bit small, and before that I was at school, in a class where I didn't get on with the teacher, failed my CSE needlework and the class bully was in the same class, and one lesson I was chucked out for screaming,  the class bully stuck a pin in my bum but I was the one who got told off!   Anyway I thought I would give it a go.  I made the top of the dress from an old curtain I had bought in a charity shop ages ago just to make sure it would fit me before I cut the actually dress fabric.  I also altered the pattern.  The dress is a shirt style but like a mans shirt with a pleat down the back which I didn't want, I just wanted a plain back so with pins, sellotape and brown paper I was set to redesign the pattern which I managed to do.  I made the skirt part fit the same way.  My problem is I am short, stout with a large bum, when I have the dress on and look in the mirror all I see is a frump!  I took my time and five days later I have a dress.  All I have to do now is make sure I have tacked up the hem the correct length, then hem the bottom, hem the sleeves and make button holes.  I think  I will practise a couple of buttonholes everyday for a week before I let myself loose on the dress, but I had better buy the buttons first though, not sure whether to buy abalone shell ones, or make covered buttons? 

8 comments:

  1. Clever girl you - and so patient.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How clever. I can work from patterns but have never adapted one - well done you :o) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty dress, you clever thing :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! I wouldn't have a clue where to start making a dress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, it's a lovely dress :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is lovely. I'd get the abalone buttons rather than covering some.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dress is gorgeous Julie, you will look realy lovely, dee xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love reading them and I read every single one!