Thursday 5 April 2012

Wonderful Weather and Weekend!

Back in January I thought we needed a break!  I went ahead and booked a weekend away not knowing that was going to have my hours cut at work.  Well I thought never mind we'll just eat less!  I booked the break at a B&B on the internet, I knew the area quite well having always holidayed in the area as a child and then in the early eighties my parents built a house in the South Hams area.  So Hartburtonford was the place, central to three places Dartmouth, Kingsbridge and Totnes.  Hartburtonford is the only place to stop for petrol, bit small to get out to look around, but like all small villages it boasts a church and churchyard, pub and village shop.  Our break was the on one of the warmest weekends in March, also the real reason for booking the weekend away was so I could visit the Vintage Fair at Totnes.  I was going to have a table but then realised I really did not have enough things to sell. 


The B&B was right on the bend of the main busy main road, I then hoped I made the right choice!  But, the view from our room was absolutely beautiful, We did not hear any traffic even with the door and window open, and not only a room with a view we had a door that opened straight on the waters edge, but we did think Health and Safety took it a bit far by announcing it was a door 
by showing us that it was the exit.................

We arrived on Friday afternoon so we could get up early on Saturday to go to Totnes, so that evening we drove to Dartmouth, one of our favourite places!  It seemed quite strange being back after about twenty years but really nothing had changed at all! 

Even the Seagulls like to travel in style to Dartmouth!
On Saturday we breakfasted then we travelled to Narnia Totnes for the Fair and to look round the town, oh and yes I did go back into the charity shops in case you were wondering.........!  I knew I would!! 

On Sunday, the morning was very breezy we went to Slapton.  A long road that stretches as far as the eye can see.  Freshwater on one side of the road and seawater on the other.
About twenty or so years ago this tank was pulled from the sea.
Sunday afternoon we visited Coleton Fishacre a National Trust property now but was once owned by the  D'Oyly Carte Family

On Monday was trains!  There are two stream railways in Dartmouth.  Dartmouth to Paington and Totnes to Buckfastleigh.  We chose to go from Buckfastleigh to Totnes and then walk the cycle track into Totnes.  We actually only made it to the outskirts of the town and had lunch in China Blue then strolled back to the station.  In the afternoon we looked round the shops and had a cream tea at Dartington.

A relief picture of Dartmouth on a wall of a building in Dartmouth.

These Owls were with their owner greeting people at Totnes Station
This pair of Ducks swam past our room every evening, but the female just did not want her photo too!!
There are more pictures here

14 comments:

  1. A lovely break Julie. I am glad that you took some time out and that you had wonderful weather! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like a lovely break. hope it recharged your batteries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some lovely pics, it looks a gorgeous place, glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really picked the right weekend, it looks lovely.
    Cate x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear you had a good time away your photo's are lovely. I was at Totnes to that day it is a beautiful town. dee xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely area especially in the sunshine. Good choice.
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you had a wonderful time...I love that area too, we last stayed there a couple of years ago. Your photos are lovely, and I'm glad you had sunshine! Wishing you and your family a Happy Easter.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photographs Julie...this looks like my perfect kind of break and lovely sunshine too!
    Hope you have a Happy Easter,
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a lovely break......I'd love to visit Totnes one day, been reading a lot of blog posts about it recently...it's the new Cornwall!

    Melx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Julie!
    Glad you had such a lovely and well deserved break!
    I hope you had a happy Easter, I'm really sorry but haven't managed to visit blogs and email people until today :(
    Michela xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you had such a lovely break, Julie. Totnes is one of my favourite places too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We used to go to this area when I was little. I love Dartmouth - I've told G I intend to retire there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so envious of anyone who can easily reach the gorgeous coastline in the south-west. I used to holiday there as a child and have very fond memories. Our Cumbrian coastline can't compare.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Somewhere I have never been, looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love reading them and I read every single one!