Sunday 13 March 2011

I don't have a sweet tooth - honest!

I made this, this morning
because I had eggs left in the fridge
at this point I would normally put leftover
pastry in the freezer.
I don't know what came over me
because..............
I also made a Treacle Tart.
I buy a French Stick just to make breadcrumbs
my son thinks that is
sacrilege and says it should
only be used for *bacon and baked bean rolls* - don't ask!
But this bread makes decent breadcrumbs and made
a nice centre to soak up the treacle.
and with the leftover pastry I made a dozen Jan Tarts.
*Bacon and Bean Rolls cut the end off of the French Stick enough that you think you are going to eat. Pull out the soft white bread and eat while bacon is cooking and the baked beans are warming through being careful not to put your fingers through the crust, this must be hole free. Fill the cavity with the beans and the bacon. Eat and enjoy*
I understand you can only feed two people with this because you need the ends, apparantly it doesn't work with the bit in the middle! But this bit can be used for breadcrumbs!
My son Robert invented this while being a student. I have never tried this recipe so I really don't know what it is like but I understand it is very nice

13 comments:

  1. Love the Student recipe! I love treacle tart too - yummy with creme fraiche or vanilla yogurt....mmmm :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh these look yummy, it makes me want to go and do some baking right now! lol
    Thanks for the lovely comment on my craft room!

    Lynn B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the pastries but am intrigued by the student snack! I may have to try it out with a big dollop of brown sauce too!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't had custard tart for years - love it. And indeed treacle tart though must admit I have never tried the student recipe but maybe I should.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't eat meat but even beans in a sandwich is wrong!! I'll have some treacle tart though please ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love egg custard tart, It was my Nanna's favourite from M&S on a saturday afternoon.
    I would love your recipe, I'm trying to compile a recipe book from friends and family and I would love to know how to make it.
    Have a great week.
    Luv Sophie xxx
    PS the bean & bacon sandwich sounds interesting, I think I would add grated cheese to it too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Golly I wish I'd been in your house!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have just written to my Grandson telling him the recipe for the french stick, he's at Uni and likes quick things like that.

    Might even try it myself...
    thanks
    Briony

    ReplyDelete
  9. there must be a custart tart epidemic starting, you are the third person I know of today who has one! the treacle tarts look gorgeous, I have never tried making them - but the student recipe - WOW! Although a bit of cheese would be nice as well, and no washing up afterwards!

    Kath
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice baking! You can't beat a jam tart!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Must try the beans/ french bread idea - sounds great for a quick but filling snack!! Love your baking - comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  12. EVERYTHING LOOKS SO TASTY... I WISH I COULD HAVE SOME!
    PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE!

    DEBBIE MOSS

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seeing the egg custard tart was a blast from the past as my mum always used to make that with a grating of nutmeg on top.
    Everything looks yummy.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love reading them and I read every single one!