Friday 1 April 2011

One Week at the end of March!

One week ago today just as I was opening the front door after returning from work the telephone was ringing. Me - Hello....... Cynithia - I have your dad for you......... Dad - (very slightly slurring speech) What are you and Alex doing on Monday? Me - Working why? Dad - You can take me to the hospital! Me - Why? Dad - I have an appointment at 9.40am at Exeter and Cynthia can't take me! Me- Not sure I can, why? Dad - I had a funny turn this morning? Me - Why didn't they take you to the hospital Dad - I don't need to go till Monday Me - Can I speak to Cynthia.............. Me - I don't understand, if he has had a stroke why hasn't he gone into hospital? Cynthia - I took him to the local hospital this morning, they say he can go home the stroke was very slight, unnoticeable, and rest for the weekend, they have made an appointment for him on Monday I can't take him and he is not allowed to drive (by law you are not allowed to drive after a heart operation or a stroke for four weeks) They have changed his pills. Me - Ok - let me see what I can do. Couple of hours and two phone calls later....... Cynthia - Hello Me - We have Monday off can take dad to the hospital. Cynthia - OK, your dad has booked the room for two nights for you anyway. Me - Ok I will be on my mobile phone all day tomorrow, and we won't we arriving until late afternoon, I not sure what time. Saturday morning, we decided to go to Totnes as planned, the reason being, we hadn't had a phone call over night so decided everything was OK. Everything was he rang me to tell me Cynthia was taking us out to lunch. It takes about one hour and fifty minutes from Minehead to Totnes, some of the journey is on the motorway. Up in the sky we saw a weather balloon . We didn't arrive in Totnes till about 10.30 and parked down by the Quay and walked up the hill as usual calling in the charity shops, managing to kit Liam out for the summer, poor Caitlin didn't fair so well this time which is quite unusual for Totnes! Eventually got to the market and the Civic Hall and to the Nostalgic and Mix Fair run by Lesley. Helen presented me with this lovely gift for the birth of Liam She is having a giveaway on her blog just now, and also the issue 3 of her next magazine is out too, which the next part of her embroidery of Bear has been stitch by me.

I purchased some old magazines from three different stalls.


After lunching at Greys Tea Shop, we continued mooching around the shops. One shop which sells mainly musical instruments I found a set of postcards featuring the drawings by M. C. Escher. I find his work fascinating, and the drawings always turn on a puzzle-page somewhere!


After four hours in Totnes we went on to dads, to find him well. I cooked tea, he didn't want much, but when he saw my Cheese-on-Toast he was hungry! Sunday Cynthia took us to her golfclub for lunch, and afterwards we sat in the sunshine in the local park chatting, then came home.


Monday up bright and early to take dad to Exeter Hospital. We set the sat-nav, because we were approaching Exeter from a different direction from our normal way. If we followed the sat-nav we would have gone down a one-way street the wrong way in a bus lane! We soon recognised where we were and turned off the sat-nav and followed the signs. Arrived at the hospital and eventually found where we had to be, saw the consultant and who was very pleased with him, he didn't need to change his prescription again, and chatted to him asking him questions like have you any children, yes - this is my daughter and my son-in-law and I have great grandchildren! Then he had to go for a CT scan, and a blood test, when all of this was finished he took us for lunch in the hospital restaurant. Exeter hospital restaurant for lunch isn't too bad, can recommend it.


After dropping dad back home and a cup of tea we came home.


Weather this week hasn't been too bad, in fact the sun has been out this afternoon. Went into the garden took some photos to suit the sunshine!


Don't know what this is called - mum used to call it "Billy Buttons"!


Primroses


Forthsyia


Dandelion


Celandine



While at the Fair I bought this old fashioned string bag

circa late 1960's early 1970's for 50p. - mum used to use them all the time.

In the bag is a clue as to what I have been making Tea Cosies!

I will be showing them very soon!


I also saw this Ladybird basking in the sunshine in the garden too

4 comments:

  1. bless your dad xxx you have been busy x hope alls ok now? x
    lovely photos of your garden flowers- really pretty x
    glad you had time to go to totnes fair - lovely mags and treats ;0)x

    best wishes xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness ! That was a busy few days. That is the sort of phone call you dread to get isn't it? I am glad that your Dad was well when you left and hope he continues to make a big improvement. Your garden is blooming beautifully. Have a good weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your dad is on the mend. Love 'billy buttons', I wonder what it is? :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. billy buttons is kerria japonica - mine's out too! Best wishes for your Dad.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love reading them and I read every single one!