Saturday 24 May 2014

J is for ...................................

Journey

A week ago today, we got up at the crack of dawn to be on a coach to travel three and half hours to the city of dreaming spires, Oxford.  The journey itself wasn't too bad, but it was very hot that, one of the hottest days in fact.  

When we arrived at the journey's end the coach driver dropped up on the outskirts of the city.  There was nothing for it we purchased a map of the city.  


By the time we found our bearing and found our way in the centre and fought against the crowd who seemed to be going against us we found the city centre.


We passed Carfax Tower and saw the famous clock that strikes every quarter


We passed a very overgrown old graveyard.

We decided to find some lunch we hadn't eaten since 6.30, so we headed for on of the many museums of the city, ending up at the Ashmolean Museum.  The food was superb, I eat then thought I should of taken a photo for here, well I was hungry!  We ate in the cafe in the basement, the restaurant was on the top floor.  The food we had was reasonably priced and delicious.

After had eaten, we felt we could tackle the city.  We just looked on the ground floor of some of the fabulous museums, for some reason we missed the Natural History Museum.


We went into the grounds and shop of the Bodleian Library.
They are building a new library and the hoarding around the building site is this  I wished I had taken an actual photo as it was quite spectacular! 


And saw the outside of the Radcliffe Camera

We couldn't go into either as they were holding weddings

Five hours of touring Oxford and three and half hour journey home we were ready for our bed!

Linking with Alphabet 

9 comments:

  1. It looks such a wonderful place to visit. I have never been but it is on my wish list.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not been to Oxford for years. I must visit again one day! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dh would like to visit here, it looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very informative hoardings. You could be there hours just reading them all.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been around Oxford yet, it is certainly on my to-do list though.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Julie, we visited Oxford about ten days ago when we were in the Cotswolds. We took a city bus trip to find out where everything was and then did a walking tour. Such a lovely historic place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a great but tiring day. I love Oxford!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phew, that sounds like a pretty exhausting day out to me.
    Looks like it was worth it though.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous outing to Oxford! Though a long and tiring day, you saw some wonderful places :)
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love reading them and I read every single one!