Friday 7 February 2014

Y is for..............



Yarn Market - Dunster Somerset

This timber-framed octagonal market hall built about 1590, is a monument to Dunster's once flourishing cloth trade.  Dunster had become a centre for woollen and clothing production by 13th century.  It was built by George Lutterell for traders to shelter traders and their wares from the rain.  I live about fifteen minutes by car away!  And, if you ever see the repeats of Poirot, the episode called the Cornish Mystery was filmed here!

You can read more about Dunster here




When I worked in a craft shop.  One summer a holiday maker came in.  Quite a young girl with her partner.  Conversation went..........

Young girl to her partner.........................I won't get any wool today, we can go to the yarn market              tomorrow, I'll just get this for now.

Me...................Oh where is the yarn market?

Young girl................Dunster

Me...............I think you will be a bit disappointed
 
Young girl............................Why?

Me...........................Its an ancient monument

Young girl...............No it said Yarn Market open Sundays Dunster it must sell yarn

Me............... No ancient monument.  

Young girl and partner left shop

Boss...........I think they will be disappointed

Me............Yes and I hope they don't come back and complain...............






13 comments:

  1. Did they - come back I mean? It must be a good long time since any wool was sold there I'm thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No they didn't so I don't know if she was dissapointed - in a way I wished she had.

      Delete
  2. That's a beautiful looking building, I can just imagine the hustle and bustle that would have been happening there, perhaps one day someone will hold a wool/cloth sale there just for the fun of it... in good weather of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious! It's a beautiful building.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie
    I beelined straight into your blog as soon as I saw that familiar pic of the Yarn Market. I used to cycle to Dunster to visit Anne my school friend there frequently and sometimes I'd stay to tea. She lived in this marvelous fairy tale cottage a little bit up from the Yarn Market ....I loved her house and Dunster is a great place. There are some good walks up to Conyar Woods and Tower.
    Thoroughly enjoyed reminiscing!


    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, her disappointment was just desserts for not listening to someone who knew! Lovely building!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story. Poor lady - she should have listened to you.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love dunster but must have missed this (with 4 kids in tow) on our last visit, thanks for sharing your story xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Y post - interesting how uninterested some people can be when you dare to contradict them. Shame you couldn't say ' I told you so' even if it was under your breath lol
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that is a lovely monument! I can imagine the traders all those centuries ago selling their wares under it and sheltering from the weather. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Dunster its such a beautiful old town, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love beautiful Dunster very much, Julie! Love your picture of the Yarn Market and such a funny story of the girl who was going there to buy yarn a few centuries too late!!
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love reading them and I read every single one!